Robbery of Paisley Union Bank, Ingram Street, Glasgow, £45,000 in gold, silver and notes was stolen.
Alexander Anderson, Dougal McColl and Peter McKinlay appointed as Lieutenants of Police.
Lieutenant Peter McKinlay appointed as Criminal Officer, Glasgow's first Detective.
Calton Burgh Police formed on the east side of the City.
Anderston Burgh Police formed on the west side of the City.
New Central Police Office in South Albion Street opened.
Miners and cotton spinners riot in Glasgow. One worker shot by Army.
Police lead by Superintendent Miller raid the 'Black Boy' Tavern, Gallowgate, and 16 conspiritors arrested.
Municipal and Extension Act merges Glasgow Police with:
Gorbals Burgh Police (48 officers)
Calton Burgh Police (21 officers)
Anderston Burgh Police (28 officers)
Glasgow Police now numbers 360 police officers.
As a result of this, Glasgow Police divided into four Divisions:
'A' or Central;
'B' or Western;
'C' or Eastern
'D' or Southern
Electric telegraph adopted for communication between offices and other police forces.
Photography introduced as an aid to crime detection, just in time to be of assistance in the Sandyford Murder of Jessie McPherson. This was the first murder investigated exclusively by Detectives of Glasgow Police. Before this date, all murders were investigated personally by the Procurator Fiscal.
By this time, the 'E' or Northern and 'F' or St. Rollox Divisions were part of the growing Glasgow Police (strength 749).
The Burgh of Govan, to the south-west of the City, establishes the Govan Burgh Police.
Dr. Pritchard murders his wife and mother-in-law at 131 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. He was later found guilty and hanged on 28 July 1865. Glasgow's last public execution.
Superintendent McCall investigates the Greatrex Forgery Case and travels to New York to arrest him.
The Clyde Police (formed in 1858) is absorbed into Glasgow Police as The Marine Division. They wear a small anchor on their collar and the cost of the division is borne by the Clyde Navigation Trust.
Police Committee abolish rattles as a means of Police communication and also introduce a telephone line between the Central Police Office and the Western Division.
Glasgow's first river patrol (rowing) boat purchased for £16.
The Ribbon Society (an Irish Republican Brotherhood) blow up gas storeage tanks at Tradeson Gas Works and attempt to bomb Buchanan Street Railway Station and the Forth & Clyde Canal at Possil Aquaduct. Six conspirators arrested.
All Police Offices and Fire Stations connected by telephone.
Glasgow Police now numbers 964 officers and men
Due to the City of Glasgow Act, 1891, the City boundaries were extended to the south, north and west sides of the City.
Possilpark and Springburn were incorporated into the existing Northern and St. Rollox Divisions.
The new Division of 'G' or Queens Park was formed by annexing Pollokshields, Crosshill and Govanhill.
Maryhill Burgh Police (20 officers) was merged with the areas of Hillhead and Kelvinside to form 'H' or Maryhill Division.
The Detective Department adopt the Bertillon system of criminal identification, based on measurements, as well as the fingerprint system.
The Centenary of the City of Glasgow Police which, at the turn of the century numbered 1355 officers and men.
'D' or Southern Division 1900
Click - to go "Into the 20th. Century"
Click here to return to the Directory